About Harold Offeh
Harold Offeh was born in Accra, Ghana in 1977 and grew up in London, UK. Harold is interested in the space created by the inhabiting or embodying of history. His work encompasses performance, social practice, video and photography, often using humour as a means to confront the viewer with aspects of contemporary culture and history.
Harold is an artist, curator and educator working in a range of media including performance, video, photography, learning and social practice. Often employing humour as a means to confront the viewer with an assessment of contemporary culture. Harold’s current project ‘Covers’ sees the artist embody images from popular culture in a series of attempts to transform music album covers from the 1970s and '80s by black divas. He continues to work in a number of diverse and situational contexts.
Offeh is currently a senior lecturer in Fine Art. Co-ordinating the Level 4 (1st Year) Programme. In addition to studio teaching, Offeh also lectures as part of the courses critical and contextual studies programme. He has also organised several international trips for students to New York, Krakow, Venice and most recently Los Angeles, USA.
Harold Offeh employs a range of strategies, including found footage, performance-based videos, live art and workshops to assess contemporary popular media representations of race, identity and desire. His interest in video stems from his research into early video practitioners such as Vito Acconci, William Wegman, Bruce Nauman, Adrian Piper and Martha Rosler, all of whom used the medium to explore the body, space, race and gender as well as the relationship between addresser and addressee.
He has exhibited widely in the UK and internationally. In 2017 he exhibited as part of Untitled: art on the conditions of our time at New Art Exchange in Nottingham, UK and Tous, des sangs-mêlés at MAC VAL, Museum of Contemporary Art in Val de Marne, France. He'll be the 2017 Open House residency artist at Kettle's Yard in Cambridge and a summer artist in residence at Wysing Arts Centre. He lives in Cambridge and works in Leeds and London, UK.
- Offeh H (2013), Aracadia Redesigned
- Offeh H (2018) Actions: The image of the world can be different (Book).. Cambridge: Kettle's Yard, University of Cambridge.
- Offeh H (2016) The Age of Our Own Making (Exhibition Catalogue)..
- Offeh H (2016) As We Alter It, So It Alters Us (self-published artists book).. Rope Press.
- Offeh H (2016) AN AGE OF OUR OWN MAKING III (Exhibition Catalogue). Oplag 1000 Berlin, Germany: Forlag, The Green Box, Kunst Editionen, Berlin.
- Offeh H (2017) Fictions and Futures, A Goldsmiths Afrofuturist Publication.. In: Futures and Fictions. London: Repeater Books, pp. 97-121.
- Offeh H (2017) Misunderstandings, An artist's book of conversations about misunderstanding.. In: . : , pp. 16-35.
- Offeh H (2017) IN SITE OF CONVERSATION: ON LEARNING WITH ART, AUDIENCES AND ARTISTS.. In: . London: Tate Publishing (Tate Schools & Teachers Programme, Tate London Learning)., pp. 181-239.
Conference contributions (16)
- Offeh H (2017) Grace Jones Symposium University of Edinburgh 05/10/2017.
- Offeh H (2016) ALMOST ALL THE GIRLS RAISE THEIR HANDS Tintype Gallery, London. 17/11/2016.
- Freelands Foundation (2016) Art is... . London: Tate Modern.
- Offeh H (2016) PLAYING UP: A Live Art Game for Kids and Adults Tate Modern, London 04/04/2016.
- Offeh H (2016) PLAYING UP SYMPOSIUM (Tate Modern, London). Tate Modern, London 01/01/2016.
- Offeh H (2016) ART IS.... FREELANDS FOUNDATION CONFERENCE Tate Modern 01/01/2016. London:
- Peters S (2016) LAYING UP: LIVE ART FOR ADULTS AND KIDS . London: TATE MODERN.
- Offeh H (2014) The Tate Research Centre Tate Modern/Goldsmith College. 01/12/2014.
- Kenning D (2012) TOWARDS AN ADVANT- GARDIST CONCEPTION OF GALLERY EDUCATION- SYMPOSIUM . London, UK: Tate Modern.
- Offeh H (2008) ART AND COMPETITIONS . Portsmouth: Aspex Gallery.
- Offeh H (2007) ARTISTS AND ARCHIVES . London: Tate Britain.
- Offeh H (2007) Slade School of Fine Art . London, UK: Slade School of Fine Art, UCL, London, UK 2007/2015.
- Offeh H (2005) PLAYING IN THE LIGHT . London: ICA.
- Piper K (2005) NECESSARY JOURNEYS . London: Tate Modern.
- Offeh H (2002) Fine Art . London, UK: University of Westminster.
- Offeh H (2001) Painting & Print . Loughborough, UK: Loughborough University.
- Offeh H. Choreograph Me (Iniva London Art Fair, London)., 01/01/2016-(In press)
- Offeh H. CHOREOGRAPH ME (MIMA workshop, Middlesbrough, UK)., 01/01/2015-(In press)
- Offeh H. COVERS, 01/01/2015-(In press)
- Offeh H. FRESHEN UP, LOOP, 01/01/2014-(In press)
- Offeh H. HAIROGRAPHY (Late at Tate Britain, London)., 04/04/2014-04/04/2014
- Offeh H. LABRINYTH TRANSPORTER, 01/01/2013-01/01/2014
- Offeh H. PINATOPIA & MOUNT FOLLY, 01/01/2013-01/01/2014
- Offeh H. CALL AND RESPONSE DINNER, 01/01/2013-01/01/2014
- Offeh H. MAMMY AT THE ROSE OF TRALEE, 01/01/2011-(In press)
- Offeh H. FUTURAMA, 01/01/2010-(In press)
- Offeh H. DEAD SEASON LIVE ART, 01/01/2010-(In press)
- Offeh H. BEING MAMMY, 01/01/2008-(In press)
- Offeh H. PERIPHERAL VISIONS, 01/01/2005-(In press)
- Offeh H. HAROLDINHO, 01/01/2005-(In press)
- Offeh H. BEING MAMMY, 01/01/2004-(In press)
- Offeh H. ANIMATIONS IBID., 01/01/2004-(In press)
- Offeh H. CARIOQINHA/TV DINNERS, 01/01/2004-(In press)
- Offeh H. UNFULFILLED DESIRES, 01/01/2003-(In press)
- Offeh H. HAROLD OFFEH, 01/01/2002-(In press)
- Offeh H. PINATOPIA & MOUNT FOLLY,, 17/03/2013-17/03/2013
- Offeh H. The Garden of Reason, 28/04/2012-23/09/2012
- Offeh H. Live Art Salon, 09/03/2012-08/12/2012
- Offeh H. The Shadows Took Shape, 14/11/2013-09/03/2014
- . IN OUR WORLD: NEW PHOTOGRAPHY FROM BRITAIN, (In press)-(In press)
- Offeh H. CUTTING SHAPES (Site Gallery, Sheffield, UK)., 01/01/2015-(In press)
- Offeh H. THE VARIETIES, 01/01/2015-(In press)
- Offeh H. RADIOCITY, 01/11/2014-01/02/2015
- . THE MOTHERSHIP COLLECTIVE, 01/01/2013-(In press)
- . HAIROGRAPHY, 01/01/2011-(In press)
- Offeh H. Grace Jones Project (Museum of African Diaspora, San Francisco)., 27/04/2016-18/09/2016
- Offeh H. An Age of Our Own Making II (Museet for Samtidkunst, Roskilde, Denmark)., 14/05/2016-15/08/2016
- Offeh H. An Age of Our Own Making III (Kunsthal Charlottenborg)., 16/09/2016-15/01/2017
- Offeh H. TRANSLATING THE STREET (Birkenhead, Merseyside)., 05/03/2016-(In press)
- Offeh H. Afropean, Mimicry and Mockery Festival of Performance (Mousonturm Kunstlerhaus, Frankfurt)., 24/11/2016-03/12/2016
- Offeh H. THE VARITIES, 01/01/2015-01/01/2015
- Offeh H. Boîte-en-Valise., 01/01/2017-01/01/2017
- Offeh H. Work, Work (Tintype Gallery Exhibition, London)., 02/11/2017-02/12/2017
- Offeh H. House Taken Over., 30/09/2018-(In press)
- Offeh H. Actions. The image of the world can be different. (Kettle's Yard, Cambridge)., 10/02/2018-06/05/2018
- Offeh H. Actions Live (Candoco Dance Company)., 17/03/2018-17/03/2018
- Offeh H. more of an avalanche (Wysing Arts Centre, Bourne, Cambridgeshire)., 11/02/2018-08/04/2018
- Offeh H. Elephant Atlas, 20/03/2018-(In press)
- Offeh H. UNTITLED: ART ON THE CONDITIONS OF OUR TIME., 01/01/2017-(In press)
- Offeh H. TOUS, DES SANGS-MÊLÉS at MAC VAL (Museum of Contemporary Art in Val de Marne, France)., 01/01/2017-01/01/2017
- Offeh H. Aracadia Redesigned, (In press)-(In press)
Films or broadcasts (6)
- OUTFEST (2014) Offeh H. : Platinum Showcase
- TIME UNFOLDING (2008) Offeh H. : Picture This
- DOCUMENTING LIVE (2008) Offeh H. : Live Art Development agency
- ART STAR 3 VIDEO BIENNIAL (2007) Offeh H. : SAW Gallery
- B-CREATIVE (2005) Offeh H. : Electric Greenhouse Showcase, ICA
- All for Show (2000) Offeh H. :
Newspaper or magazine articles (6)
- Offeh H (In press), Selfie Choreography: Performing with the Camera (in ArteeCritica 90).
- Offeh H (2018), Tate Etc.
- Whitley Z; Naima J. K (2013), THE SHADOWS TOOK SHAPE
- Çalikoglu. L (2007), HYBRID NARRATIVES
- Image&Narrative (2007), GHOSTING: THE ROLE OF THE ARCHIVE WITHIN CONTEMPORARY ARTISTS' FILM AND VIDEO
- Offeh H (2000), 10TH EAST INTERNATIONAL
- Offeh H (2018), Cambridge Junction
- Offeh H (2018), HOUSE TAKEN OVER (WORKSHOP TAKEN OVER)
- Offeh H (2017), TOUS, DES SANGS-MÊLÉS at MAC VAL (Research Database) at Museum of Contemporary Art in Val de Marne, France.
- Offeh H (2016), Peckham Platform
- Offeh H (2016), SERPENTINE GALLERY YOUTH FORUM
- Offeh H (2014), Mirror City (Hayward Gallery).
- Offeh H (2013), TATE MODERN SUMMER SCHOOL
- Offeh H (2011), Vito and Me
- Offeh H (2009), TIP, TEACHERS PROJECT
- Offeh H (2009), GET WITH THE PROGRAMME
- Simonds C (2009), AT YOUR SERVICE
- Offeh H (2008), LONDON MIX
- Offeh H (2007), A SENSE OF PLACE
- Offeh H (2007), RAW CANVAS
- Offeh H (2007), Grizedale Arts Residency
- Saw Gallery (2007), ART STAR 3 VIDEO ART BIENNIAL
- Offeh H (2006), HAPPINESS LAB
- Offeh H (2006), TAKE 32
- Offeh H (2005), HAMPSTEAD SCHOOL PROJECT
- Offeh H (2005), Artist in Residence
- Offeh H (2005), Electric Greenhouse Digital Arts Residency
- Offeh H (2004), Arts Council England International Fellowship
- Offeh H (2003), Triangle Arts Residency
- Offeh H (2000), Cite des Arts Studio Residency
Peer reviews (artworks/exhibitions) (1)
- Offeh H (2013), Aracadia Redesigned
- Offeh H (In press), 'Copyright Christmas'
- Offeh H (In press), WE ARE THE CENTER FOR CURATORIAL STUDIES, Bard College, New York).
- Offeh H (In press), WE ARE THE EPI CENTER (P! Gallery, New York City).
- Offeh H (In press), Keyword Exchange Stations (Keywords with Shannon Jackson).
- Offeh H (In press), CHOREOGRAPH ME (Dublin Live Art Festival).
- Offeh H (In press), Curious Replicas (Chelsea Theatre, London).
- Offeh H (In press), JUST LIKE A WOMAN
- Offeh H (In press), RADIO DUETS
- Offeh H (In press), QUEER ART HERE AND NOW.
- Offeh H (In press), Soul of Nation: Uniqlo (Late Tate at Tate Modern).
- Offeh H (In press), They Taught Me Laughing To Keep From Crying.
- Offeh H (In press), Lost Senses.
- Offeh H (In press), Selfie Choreography: Performing with the Camera (Workshop).
- Offeh H (In press), http://haroldoffeh.com/