Information for students

International students

Information for international students around the potential impact of coronavirus on their travel, visas and assessment arrangements.

International students' FAQs

You cannot travel to the UK if you’ve visited or passed through a country where travel to the UK is banned in the last 10 days, unless you have residency rights.

Before traveling to England, all international arrivals must:

  • Take a coronavirus (COVID-19) test and get a negative result during the 3 days before travel. (Please note that your test results must be in English, French or Spanish and must include all specified information. See here for the exact requirements.
  • Book and pay for a travel test package, which will include COVID-19 tests to be taken on, or before day 2 and on or after day 8 of quarantine (the rules are different based on whether your country is on the red, amber or green list).
  • Complete a passenger locator form with details of where you will quarantine when you arrive and a travel test package / quarantine hotel booking reference number.

The rules you need to follow for self-isolation depend on where you have been in the 10 days before you arrive. Read the red, amber and green list rules here.

If you are traveling from a red listed country, you must book into and pay for a quarantine hotel to complete your 10 day self-isolation period.

Please ensure that you fully read the guidance on how to self-isolate. This includes information on how to travel to the place where you are self-isolating, how to self-isolate in your accommodation and what to do if you get coronavirus symptoms during the process.

See the current government guidance for more information. Our university guidance on Covid-19 can be found here.

You should be aware that travel advice may change while you are overseas, and are advised to regularly check all relevant guidance pages for updates. 

Official travel advice to and from the UK is being regularly updated. Countries and territories are listed as either red, amber or green.

 The UK Government discourages all unnecessary travel to red list countries or territories, for example for leisure purposes.

We recommend that you contact your national embassy for advice and information before travelling home. It is likely that you will need a negative Covid-19 test in advance of travelling, you may also be expected to quarantine/self-isolate upon arrival.

Leaving the UK during term time is not encouraged. If you have a Student Visa, attendance at any timetabled classes is expected (unless you are currently self-isolating). We also request that you inform your Course Administrator and the SIAC team if you choose to return home during term time. Please include your student ID number in the email.

If you intend to return to the UK, you will be required to follow the rules for entering (see What is the advice if I am travelling to the UK?)

 If your visa is due to expire, please contact SIAC team for further guidance.

Anybody aged 18 or over in the UK is eligible for the COVID-19 vaccination for free, regardless of their nationality or immigration status. 

  • Before you get a tested, should make sure you have arrangements in place to travel home safely in the event you test positive. You should walk, cycle, or drive wherever possible.
  • If driving, you should try to be the only person in the vehicle, but you can share a car with your household or support bubble if necessary. You should open windows, wear a face covering and sit far away from others if sharing a car. 
  • You should plan your journey ahead in the event you test positive and should not use public transport or a taxi/private hire vehicle to return home.

As an enrolled student, it is essential that you engage with your studies by attending all the classes, lectures, tutorials and other sessions indicated on your timetable.

Attendance can be online, face to face classes or a combination of both depending on the requirements of your course. Failure to fully engage with your course without providing a satisfactory explanation to your School may result in you being marked as ‘Unauthorised Absence’.

If you are in the UK, you are expected to attend any on campus teaching for your course (unless you are currently self-isolating). You must also follow any attendance monitoring processes as instructed by your school.

If you are overseas and have been unable to travel to the UK, it is important that you inform your Course Administrator of this. It is however important that you continue to attend all online classes and continue to engage with your studies whilst overseas.

To ensure that you are marked as present for your on-line classes, you must log in at the time that the classes are scheduled and follow any guidance from your School regarding attendance / engagement monitoring.

If you develop any symptoms of Covid-19, you must not come onto campus and should inform your Course Administrator of your absence. Please also provide your information on the following online form

Please contact Student Immigration Advice & Compliance.

We will continue to review UKVI published guidance and update when able to do so.

All students should take two free lateral flow tests for Covid-19 before returning for any in-person, on campus teaching or before they use any campus facilities. The test is for those with no symptoms, more information can be found here.

Current government guidance states that any students with a Student Visa are expected to transition to face-to-face learning when they arrive in the UK. This means that if you are already in the UK, you are expected to attend any in person classes in accordance with your course timetable.

UK Visas & Immigration state that students who have a visa or have been issued a CAS must arrive for face-to-face teaching by no later than by 06 April 2022.

You can choose to pay for an accredited Covid-19 test from a private testing provider after five days of self-isolation, with a negative result releasing you from the need to isolate from day 6. You cannot use the Test to Release scheme if you have been in or through any country that is on the red list in the 10 days before you arrive in England.

More information on the Test to Release scheme is available on the Government website.

If you have arrived in the UK you are expected to collect your BRP in person (unless you are currently self-isolating). If you are experiencing any difficulties regarding this please contact the SIAC team for advice.